- test :
Does your Los Angeles kitchen look like a blast from the past? Dark wood cabinets set off by those lovely harvest gold laminate counter tops, avocado green appliances and burnt orange linoleum flooring? Here at
NB Construction, we understand that remodeling your kitchen is one of the best investments you can make in your home. Many real estate agents say that a new kitchen gives you a much higher rate of return on investment than any other room in the house and can be the deciding factor in the purchase of a home. As the hub of family life, kitchens must be practical, efficient and suit your lifestyle. But before you decide to transform your “far out cook house” into the contemporary kitchen of your dreams, here are a few things you should know.
Plan & Budget
There are many things to think about when you start a kitchen remodel. Professional remodelers like NB Construction can help you work through each option to create the kitchen of your dreams within a budget you can afford. Planning your perfect kitchen should take more time than the actual work – up to six months, according to the National Kitchen and Bath Association.
- Lifestyle: First, think about your lifestyle. What do you use your kitchen for the most? Cooking? Entertaining? Family gatherings? What do you need out of your kitchen? This should drive all of your decisions.
- Infrastructure: Next, does your current kitchen infrastructure allow for your lifestyle? Do you need new plumbing, electrical or walls? These types of changes will drive up the cost of your remodel, but now is the time to look at a variety of kitchen layouts and choose one that meets the needs of you and your family. Open floor plan? Island? Larger opening for the appliances you want? Knock out a wall for storage? Width of doorways and walkways, traffic patterns of your work flow and design ergonomics are all things to consider. Hiring a Los Angeles contractor like NB Construction can make all of these wishes a reality for your kitchen remodel.
- Wants vs. Needs: Make a list of “must-haves” vs. “wants” and begin your budget. If you have appliances or lighting fixtures that are on the verge of breaking or not functional, you will need to replace them. On the other hand, if you just want a newer model of an appliance, put it on your list of “wants.” Our experts at NB Construction in Los Angeles offer a budget planning worksheet to help you track your kitchen remodel needs and desires. Spending about 10 percent of your home’s value on the remodel can give you a return on that investment when you resell your house.
- Budget-Savers: Of course, NB Construction can assist with a less elaborate remodel as well. For limited budgets, consider investing in a modern layout, quality cabinets and modern countertops. New appliances, fancy faucets, and pricey light fixtures can be added down the road. Even the backsplash can be painted with a semi-gloss paint until you save up for that glass mosaic.
Something as simple as cabinets can make a big difference in your new kitchen remodel.
- Material: Choose wood or wood veneer cabinets with sturdy drawer slides and hinges.
- Storage: Enhance storage opportunities by installing cabinets that reach the ceiling, shelving on unused wall areas, and hooks on the backs of closet doors. Make use of kitchen corners by installing a half-moon Lazy Susan with two pivoting half-circle shelves that slide out from the cabinet, or double-sliding shelves where a front set of shelves slide out and to one side, allowing a second set tucked in the corner to slide forward. Consider rollout trays and pullout shelves.
- Island: If you have the room, add an island for an informal seating area, or housing the dishwasher, sink or stove.
- Budget-Saver: Save money with factory-built cabinets that are usually more precisely cut, more durable and offer a warranty of up to 25 years.
When you compare your Los Angeles kitchen to others, it’s easy to get carried away with wishes and desires. Your kitchen remodel shouldn’t be about the appliances, but the design and functionality of the entire kitchen.
- Consider Space: Remember the space you are working with and choose energy efficient appliances with excellent reviews that match your lifestyle.
- Little Things Matter: Add small things to enhance your convenience like hooks on the side of the range hood to hang frequently used pots and pans.
- Hoods: Consider a quality exhaust hood and make sure it matches your range in terms of size and airflow.
- Look Inside: Consider the drawer configuration inside your refrigerator and the rack/silverware locations inside your dishwasher to make sure they are best suited to your needs.
Are your kitchen countertops outdated or worn out? New countertops can transform the look and feel of your entire kitchen.
- Material: It might be time to consider granite, stone or marble countertops as part of your remodel that offer strength, abrasion resistance, durability and upscale appearance.
- Color: Ideally, select a light colored countertop to provide a contrast against dark cabinets and vice versa. The natural speckles in the countertop should have hues of the cabinet color.
- Space: At NB Construction, the most frequent complaint of our customers about their kitchens is lack of counter space. Consider installing the microwave under the counter, adding a dishwasher, or building an island or “L” extension.
- Outlets: Don’t forget to install multiple outlets along the backsplash and any island so you’ll have plenty of electricity when you need it.
Since this is an area you likely use every day, think about installing the most versatile sink – a single, large basin with a flat bottom and a drain toward the back. Using a gooseneck faucet with a pull-down sprayer will make cleaning both those tall pots and wide cookie sheets a bit easier.
With pricing from $4 for linoleum to $30 for hardwood per square foot, this is an area you can save or spend a lot. Your choice may depend on these options as well as the style you are aiming for.
- Hardwood: Clearly hardwood wins for good looks and a warm surface, but it will scratch, dent and loose it’s shine over time.
- Tile: Porcelain tile provides easy clean up, lots of colors, but is cold and hard under your feet, plus breakable.
- Carpet: Carpet offers a warm, soft colorful option, but may need regular cleaning.
- Linoleum: Linoleum gives you the warmth of wood with the design options of tile, but may show seems, especially on a large floor.
Lighting can make your kitchen look larger and brighter and help you work more efficiently and safely. There are two types to consider for your kitchen remodel – task lighting and ambient lighting.
- Task Lighting: Under-the-cabinet lighting is a “must-have” for today’s busy kitchens and NB Construction can hard-wire your lights as part of your kitchen remodel. We recommend at least two fixtures per task area to eliminate dark work areas. Hanging lights work well to illuminate islands and other counters without low cabinets.
- Ambient Lighting: Mounting fixtures flush to the ceilings, adding track lights or wall sconces help create the overall ambient lighting in your kitchen. You can include dimmer switches save energy and control the mood.
Hire A Professional By Calling NB Construction Today!
Large or small, an organized, well-designed kitchen can save you money, time and make preparing meals safer and more enjoyable. With all of the options and costs to consider in kitchen remodeling, hiring a professional Los Angeles contractor will be the best money you spend. Make sure you find one who is recommended by friends, carries necessary licenses and liability insurance and is in good standing with the Better Business Bureau. A good contractor will obtain all of the necessary permits from the Los Angeles planning department before beginning your remodeling project. Experts in kitchen remodeling will help you analyze your options and select the components that will deliver the most for your hard-earned dollar. A pro will also help make design and style decision, anticipate potential challenges and schedule quality subcontractors like plumbers and electricians.
Whether your are looking to remodel your floors, implement new fencing, build a swimming pool, or make any other exciting change to your home, NB Construction is here to help! Our team of fully licensed experts is available to answer any questions you may have. We also offer free in-home consultations, so call us at (323) 424-3514, or visit our contact page with any other inquiries. We look forward to helping you improve your dream home soon!